Chiesa di San Pietro Apostolo

Chiesa di San Pietro Apostolo

Nell’area su cui sorge l’edificio esisteva un convento benedettino fin dal VI secolo d.C. La chiesa attuale, riedificata dai Barberini alla metà del Seicento, fu restaurata durante il pontificato di Clemente XII intorno al 1730, su commissione di Stefano Mocci, protonotario della Camera Apostolica. All’ingresso, superato il pronao, la statua di San Pietro opera del napoletano Paolo Benaglia (1730 ca.). Le acquasantiere reimpiegano un ara e un basamento di statua onoraria, entrambe di epoca romana. La pala d’altare (Pasce oves meas, 1633) fu dipinta da Giacinto Gimignani. Sotto l’altare riposano le spoglie della Beata Margherita Colonna. Ai lati due candelabri a forma di colonnina tortile in arte cosmata.

mudi-big-2

St. Peter the Apostle Church

The area where the church stands was already occupied by a Benedectine Monastery since the early 6th Century a.C. It was firstly rebuilt by Barberini family in the middle of the 17th century and then restored under the Pontificate of Pope Clement XII, approximately 1730. The restoration was commissioned by Stefano Mocci, prothonotary of the Apostolic Chamber.

At the entrance, passing by the pronaus, it is possible to admire the Statue of St. Peter by the Neapolitan sculptor Paolo Benaglia (approx. 1730). An ancient Roman altar and a pedestal of a votive statue are here used as holy fonts. The altarpiece named Pasce oves meas (approx. 1633) was painted by Giacinto Gimignani. Blessed Margherita Colonna’s remains rest under the altar. On its side it is possible to see two candelabras shaped as spiral columns and manufactured as Cosmatesque style.